Saturday, June 5, 2010

food for thought

is there anything that brings us together like food? our daughter is visiting from sunny California. we are enjoying our time together. but many of our hours have been spent in the kitchen. cooking.
our darling M is a wonderful cook. she and her husband love to try new recipes and they are quite the gourmands. so during this particular visit, when we have her here to ourselves, I asked her to teach me the finer points to some of her culinary talents.
last night we stirred up a delicious pot of risotto. creamy and delightful. and what made the dish sweeter was the time we spent in the kitchen together preparing the meal. we talked of this and that. past and future plans. everyday nonsense. mundane things that never bore a mommy.
this morning I made her my favorite buttermilk pancakes. she warmed my heart with the first bite 'yum'.
tomorrow morning we will make scones. she has given me the recipe but I failed miserably. so under her tutelage we will knead and bake together. can't hardly wait!
and the final preparation will be making a new favorite of hers, croissants. I know they will be good because she had me buy two pounds of butter for the experience.

my heart and tummy jump for joy.

1 comment:

k and c's mom said...

Hope you have a wonderful time with your daughter. You may want to pound your chest/give self-CPR after the butter!