Saturday, July 3, 2010

pedal pusher

today is the first day of a glorious vicarious three-week vacation as I cycle through France. I love le Tour. the colorful commentary. the brilliant scenery. the athleticism. the teamwork. the drama. the dramatics. the hype. it all makes for a delightful trip.

I watch the live broadcast every morning. I watch the recap highlights every evening. I am drawn to the Versus channel like a moth to a flame. I add le Tour website to my favorites toolbar.

I keep my little notebook and pen handy to jot down favorite sites to add to my francophile list. for the draw of le Tour for me is not where Lance is placing. but the places he travels - mountainous. rural. urban. cobblestone. miles and miles and miles of rich history, beautiful architecture and stunning countryside. vive le Tour.

'the bicycle, the bicycle surely, should always be the vehicle of novelists and poets.'

1 comment:

ellie said...

le denier, triste. enjoy the ride.