Sunday, August 15, 2010

all about me

I have a dream. it involves converting a little storage room next to the garage into a 'me' room. my inspiration comes from my good friend L, who has a lovely garden room with big comfy chairs and her craft table. I could move into that little space, lock the door and be quite content for the rest of my days.

my room is not nearly so big. or charming. but it holds great potential (two words that strike fear into the hubs). as Dr. Seuss would say 'oh the things we could do'. I could read. and write. and think. and plan. and scheme. and doodle. and dream. and yes, I could, she happily admits, nap when the mood struck.

I have been gathering ideas for how to decorate that little corner of my world. fake wood paneling now covers the walls and acoustic tiles the ceiling. the floor is cement. I would put bead board on the walls about 3/4 of the way up and paint the remaining quarter. install a wide ledge to display gathered treasures. I would paint a black and white checkerboard on the floor. and get two overstuffed chairs - one for me and one to share. for lighting I want to group several mismatched funky pendants or chandeliers to give a warm glow (the picture is courtesy of a little shop in Hico, TX called Homestead). I would have a big big big bulletin board where I could pin and post snapshots of places, clippings and cuttings, random things and favorite friends. and a small cabinet that I can neatly store what ever I wish.

so I will add this little room to my ever-growing fall wish list. first I have to clean it out because it is full of stuff and I can barely get the door open. and that presents a whole 'nother set of challenges. perhaps I need to add purge to my list as I fear I am on the brink of hoarders disease. but that is an entirely different blog topic.

'in quiet places, reason abounds.'

4 comments:

ellie said...

I'd love to come sit in the other comfy chair when its ready!

susan said...

it's yours anytime, my dear Ellie!

k and c's mom said...

An idea just full of possibilities! When Ellie is done with her turn in the chair, I'd like to try it out for a chat.

susan said...

I'd better get more chairs! the more the merrier.