Sunday, February 20, 2011

art is life

took a little road trip yesterday with the hubs and a group of friends. destination ... the Dallas Museum of Art. my first time there and what a introduction. the outing was intended to see two exhibits featuring Gustav Stickley and Frank Lloyd Wright. a beautiful display of hand drawn architectural plans and sepia renderings. and what I remain in awe of is the artistry in a simple sketch. the precision in ornate lettering. the thoughtful composition. the careful placement of image on paper. how lovely to see the world in black and white.

with some free time we wandered up to the third floor to see the Wendy & Emery Reves collection. a series of rooms recreated from their villa on the French Rivera. elegant rooms comfortably set and well lived. looking on the magnificent collection I wondered if every item had a personal story. and oh what those pieces could tell. how amazing to see the world in texture.

but if I could pick out that one experience. one moment. one vivid image. it would be seeing Henri Matisse's Still Life: Bouquet and Compotier. I am still mesmerized by the glow. the structure. the display. how delightful to see the world in living color.

hues and tint. soft impressions. flowing form. history. stories. life. how glorious to enjoy a day well spent.

'fill a space in a beautiful way.'

No comments: